Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Double vision

James 4:1-8 NASB

What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members?  You lust and do not have;  so  you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain;  so  you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask.  You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend  it  on your pleasures.  You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.  Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"?  But He gives a greater grace. Therefore  it  says, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."  Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

My thoughts -

You know, I could really use a new guitar. Sure, I have quite a few, but there's far more I don't have. I've always wanted an early 60s Les Paul, for instance. And who wouldn't want one of those Santa Cruz modeled after the OM Martins? And have you seen what Gibson is doing with the robot guitar technology. There's some exciting stuff going on. I want it in my life. I need it. I have to have it.

I'm not much into cars but I love bicycles. Sure, my bikes are great but you know what? I think it'd be awesome to have one of those carbon fiber racing bikes. Can you imagine how fast I could cruise around on those things? I really wish I had one. Heck, I deserve one. I need it. I have to have it.

But you know, I'm not rich. If I was I'd start with getting a better house. You know, this is an okay neighborhood but one of those gated ones would probably feel safer. Maybe one with a golf course. I don't golf but if I were rich I bet I could. I could find the time. I wouldn't be working my butt off at these two jobs all day every day, that's for sure. You know, I deserve an easier life and more time and nicer stuff. I need it. I have to have it.

There are so many things in this life that distract us from God. It's not that they're bad. There's nothing wrong with a well crafted guitar or a technologically advanced bike or a nice house in a nice neighborhood. But when we place the desire for the things of this world ahead of our desire for godly things then we create conflict.

I really do want a new guitar. I don't need any but I do want one. Several, actually. The desire for these things if left unchecked can become obsessive. And jealously when others have what I desire can be overwhelming. I hate that about myself.

I want the bike and the house too. I really do. Maybe I went a little overboard with the gated community and the golf course thing but a little more square footage and some land would be nice. And other people have these things and I have to admit that I am jealous. This is a real issue in my life. The desire for more and better stuff could consume me if allowed. My jealousy of others who have what I want could as well.

There's always something you can't or don't have. Be it material things or abilities or a sexual partner or whatever. There's always something that is not attainable. Or maybe it is but it is something that you shouldn't have. The desire for these things can be overwhelming. It can also get in the way of your relationship with God and with others. Our wants and desires can blind us to the needs of others and can blind us to the harm we cause others when we pursue the cravings of the flesh.

We are double-minded, dividing our interest between godly and worldly things. We are distracted from the eternal by the things here that don't last. We pay lip service to God while ignoring the call to care for others while we accumulate the things we want, the things we need, the things we have to have.

The solution to this problem is to acknowledge that we do it. I know that I do. I know when I do and what I desire when I do. We need to understand what we're doing in this way. And then we need to repent. We need to stop what we're doing. We need to turn from our worldly lusts and cravings and turn towards God. We need to acknowledge that the best the shiny junk of this world had to offer pales in comparison to the things of God.

God offers peace. God offers contentment. God offers joy. No matter how much stuff we get there's always something we don't have. That we can't have. God says we don't have to want it. We don't have to need it. We can have peace and contentment.

Peace is far better than prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment