Thursday, November 25, 2010

Let light shine out of darkness

2 Corinthians 4:1-11 (TNIV) -

1 Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.5 For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.

6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.

My thoughts -

Paul has, in the first few chapters of 2 Corinthians, described the hardships that he has faced and even his resignation that he may have been facing death. These hardships had prevented him from making a planned visit to the church in Corinth. He even described them as being more than he could bear. And this is coming from a man who survived being stoned!

So how does he respond to this hardship and persecution? Remember Paul is a man who was imprisoned many times and eventually martyred for what he preached. When Paul faced persecution he wasn't made fun of, he was threatened with loss of freedom and loss of life. And yet he says that he will not lose heart because of God's mercy. And he will not be deceptive but preach plainly and openly. Could any of us say that we would do the same thing? When I get beaten down even just a little bit I start to justify all manner of things just to protect my own self interest. Paul wouldn't be protecting some superficial level of comfort but his very life! And even so he will not justify any deception. He will speak plainly, preach openly, and rely on God's mercy.

I love what he writes in verses 8 and 9:
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

I get pretty stressed out about a number of things. I want to be liked. I want to be appreciated. I want to be respected. I want to be well received. I have never faced persecution like those in the early church did. In our culture I never will. But can I rely on God in the same way that Paul did? Can I be open in the face of adversity and plainly speak the truth regardless of the cost? Can I trust God that, though I may be pressed I will not be crushed; though I may be persecuted I will not be abandoned; though I may be struck down I will not be destroyed?

We don't live in a difficult time, really. We have made peace with our culture and fit neatly along side of it. And yet we are to be a light shining in the darkness. Can we be comfortable and happy and still be the light? Can we speak out against a culture that does not care adequately for the lost, the sick, the poor, the broken, and the least and still enjoy our favored position? Can we speak out against a watered down Gospel that offers grace without repentance and doesn't demand righteousness without facing some backlash?

Can we be the light we need to be? Maybe there's a reason no one here is trying to kill us like they did Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment