Monday, November 22, 2010

A resounding gong or clanging cymbal

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (TNIV) -

1 If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

My thoughts -

Whatever we have, whatever we do, whatever our gifts and talents, without love they are less than worthless. I could be the best guitarist in the world, I could sing with more beauty and passion than anyone could imagine, I could speak more brilliantly and poetically than anyone else on the planet and without love all of that would be just noise. I could give all that I have, pray every second of every day, and know more about scripture than anyone who ever lived and without love it would just be spiritual masturbation. Without love we are nothing. We should never forget this.

1 comment:

  1. Spiritual masturbation - there's a thought more people should dwell on.

    ReplyDelete