Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sorry, Lord. Maybe next time...

Luke 6:46-49 NASB

"Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?  "Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like:  he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.  "But the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation; and the torrent burst against it and immediately it collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great."

My thoughts -

This was hard for me to read this morning, especially in light of some of the difficult teachings the precede it here.

Although I didn't post it part of my reading this morning included what I call the "Plankeye" verse. I'm sure you know the one. Luke 6:42:

""Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye."

This is a tough teaching. This is the sort of thing that we want Jesus to be telling others. I know I do, at least. You know, the people who disagree with me. They can be so judgemental and mean. They need to hear this. But not me. I'm good.

And of course that's nonsense. I find what is wrong with others much easier and much, much more comfortably than I do my own faults.

But this is not the only tough teaching we've looked at lately. Jesus was/is nothing if not willing to challenge his followers. We've read over the last few days that we need to love our enemies, be good to people who are bad to us, bless those who curse us, lend without expecting anything in return, that we are blessed when we are persecuted, that the poor are blessed, and that the rich, comfortable, and powerful have received their reward in this life and not the next to the point that Jesus says "woe" to them.

These are tough things. They challenge us. They turn our worldview absent Jesus upside down. They are hard to hear. They are hard to follow. Jesus is asking us to love like God loves. To love our enemies. To expect nothing in return. To devalue the tangible things in this life and to only value the Kingdom of God, a Kingdom we don't have access to here and now. And then Jesus says this and it just rubs it in.

"Why do you call me Lord, Lord and not do what I say?"

Is it because we don't think he's serious? Jesus doesn't really mean these things, right? They're some kind of academic ideal. Everyone should be like this. Of course it isn't really attainable and grace covers your shortcomings so don't sweat it if you can't pull it off. Seriously. We're cool.

Is Jesus not showing us a better way to live, a better way to be? Are we who claim salvation in Christ willing to trust him only with eternity and not with this present life? Are we just stubborn, stuck in our ways? Do we like control? Is it just too hard?

I can't answer these questions for you. I can barely answer them for me. Mostly I can look at this passage sheepishly, like a child being scolded who has no good explanation for his behavior. It was more work than I was willing to put in. Anger is addicting. I enjoy getting worked up. I enjoy a good tirade. I like holding grudges. It is a lot easier to hate your enemies than to love them. It is a lot easier to continue to do what I have always done than to seriously follow Jesus and do what he says.

That's all I've got. Sorry, Lord. My way was just easier. Maybe next time.

Have mercy on me, a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment