Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Job security

We have a guy in our office building who does all of the maintenance. He's awesome. He does really good work. And he's an artist.

 I'm not just saying that. He does woodworking art outside of work. He's brought some pieces in to show some of us in the building. I don't know a lot about art but they seem gorgeous to me. He really puts a lot of himself into them.

 But he does the same thing at work. He redesigned the lobby recently. He hung beautiful wood panels everywhere. He put them in the elevator, too. They really give the place a less industrial, more "homey" feel.

As I came in today he was pulling a panel down from the elevator and replacing it. A new office is opening in the building and someone, while moving their stuff in, destroyed a panel. Our maintenance guy makes each one himself by hand. I expressed to him that it was a shame that someone destroyed one. I wondered (though not aloud) if he would be upset that the product of such obvious care and labor of his was destroyed.

 He said it was not a shame it was destroyed. He said it was "job security".

 I like that. I wish I had his perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment