Thursday, September 1, 2011

We are perishing!

Luke 8:22-25 NASB

Now on one of  those  days Jesus and His disciples got into a boat, and He said to them, "Let us go over to the other side of the lake." So they launched out. But as they were sailing along He fell asleep; and a fierce gale of wind descended on the lake, and they  began  to be swamped and to be in danger. They came to Jesus and woke Him up, saying, "Master, Master, we are perishing!" And He got up and rebuked the wind and the surging waves, and they stopped, and it became calm. And He said to them, "Where is your faith?" They were fearful and amazed, saying to one another, "Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?"

My thoughts -

I must be insecure. I want to harp on that, after he had rebuked the wind and waves, Jesus rebuked his disciples.

"Where is your faith?" Jesus asked them.

I want to point out that they were with Jesus. Didn't they know who he was/is? Didn't they get it? Shouldn't they have known by then that Jesus was the Son of God? How could they have been so afraid?

Those silly disciples, I want to tease. There they go, freaking out again. They spent so much time with Jesus and still didn't really get it. They had so much access to Jesus and yet didn't really have faith.

But would my response have been any different? If I were there the only difference between my response and the disciples' would have been that I might have freaked out more. Does that mean that I have no faith?

And again, though Jesus chastises them, did the disciples not have faith? When the boat was rocking and the wind and waves were tearing it apart and it seemed as though they had no hope to survive, who did they turn to?

I could harp on some perceived failure of theirs. I could say they lacked faith to be still in the face of crisis and just know that all would be okay, but who has that kind of faith? Certainly not me.

So I instead find comfort. The disciples knew where to go for help. They knew who to ask. The world was ending. Things were out of control. They had no hope for survival. So they called on Jesus.

"Jesus, wake up and save us!" they called.

"Master, Master, we are perishing!"

And Jesus saved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment