Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sometimes you bike in the rain

It was 38 degrees and raining for my ride this morning. That is objectively bad weather. It's not a matter of opinion but empirical fact. 38 degrees and raining sucks. And yet I really enjoyed it.

My dad likes to walk in the rain. When questioned about this he always responds "Some people like to walk in the rain. Other people just get wet. I like to walk in the rain."

Now, don't tell him I said this (you know fathers and sons) but there's a lot of wisdom in that statement. We went out of town for a gymnastics meet for the long weekend. Not only did I not take my bike with me but I also forgot my running shoes and clothes. So I went all of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday really not getting any miles of any kind in. I had really itchy legs this morning. They're not used to that kind of lack of use. They needed to go.

I was disheartened when I saw the forecast. I was disheartened when I looked out the window. Today the weather is the kind of weather that I like to avoid. Cold is okay but I really don't like getting wet. But what could I do? My legs HAD to go. So I biked this morning. And it was AWESOME. I really enjoyed it.

I made a conscious decision that, like my dad, rather than just getting wet I was going to bike in the rain. It's amazing what a little change in attitude can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment