Friday, August 13, 2010

Morning bike ride

I have noticed that my morning bike ride pretty much seems to always feel the same. I hit the same hills at pretty much the same speed in the same gear with the same amount of effort almost every morning. Every once in a while I'll feel especially good and it will seem almost effortless. Also, every once in a while I will feel weak, as if I'm trying to bike through marshmallows or something, and everything will feel much slower and more difficult. But most of the time it feels about the same. Yet there is some variance in the time.

It seems like the biggest factors in this variance are things that are beyond my control. My effort is pretty even. My speed is about the same. But sometimes the timing of the lights is just all wrong. Or I get stuck behind a bus or something. There is a train track near my office and about once a month I get stuck behind a train. Yesterday I blew out a tire. It seems like there may be a metaphor here.

There are things in life that can be controlled and things that you have no control over. If you control that which you can (most importantly here is your effort and attention) then you can trust the process. Sometimes the results may vary but you can't let that get you too far up or too far down. Most likely, if what you can control is consistent, then the change in result has nothing to do with you, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment