Sunday, August 15, 2010

Willing?

Luke 22:41-44 (TNIV) -

41 He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

My thoughts -

Jesus is praying as he is about to be handed over to be killed. He knows what will happen and, based on this passage. He seems to have some anxiety about it. Selfishly I like this.

Jesus prays that God may "take this cup" from him, and yet in the same breath asks for God's will to be done. He is a willing servant, if not an eager one.

There are things that I don't want to do. There are things that I may be unwilling to do and certainly don't want to be asked to do. And yet, how I feel about the matter is of little omportance. My response when asked is. Am I willing? Am I willing to pray that God's will be done no matter the situation or the sacrifice necessary on my part? Am I willing to follow Jesus's lead here?

No comments:

Post a Comment