Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Good morning

We had a parent/teacher conference at Monkey's school today. It went really well. Monkey's teacher says that he's the most gifted in math and logic that she's ever seen at that age and that we need to stay on him to keep him that way. This is not a new teacher. She's approaching retirement age. I was shocked by this. Yes, we think the world of him, but "most gifted ever" were not words we expected to come out of her mouth. She taught both of our other kids. We know that this is not a woman who just blows smoke. I am one proud Daddy.

I biked to the conference on my way to work. My wife took the minivan. Sure, I could have just ridden with her but then she'd have to take me to work and pick me up. It was just easier this way.

And then things got interesting. As I was getting on my bike to head off to the office my wife told me that she had work to do this morning on campus and was just planning to park at my office (near campus) and she'd just head on over to campus from there. I guess we were both in a pretty good mood after the conference. I'm not sure who suggested it first but as it occurred to us that we were going to the same place from the same place we decided to race.

Since I started commuting on bike I've come to the conclusion that, in town, traveling by bicycle is just as fast as by car. The closer you get to campus or downtown the faster the bike becomes by comparison. Our little "race" just confirmed the heck out of this. I won.

That's right. Bicycle vs. Minivan and the bicycle wins, baby!

It's been a good morning.

2 comments:

  1. Two more blocks and I would have won. You were turning blue by the time you reached your building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I had to do was beat you there. I didn't have to be able to breathe after. No one said that!

    ReplyDelete