Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains

Acts 26:19-29 (TNIV) -

19 “So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven.20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.21 That is why some Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me.22 But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen—

23 that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

24 At this point Festus interrupted Paul’s defense. “You are out of your mind, Paul!” he shouted. “Your great learning is driving you insane.”
25 “I am not insane, most excellent Festus,” Paul replied. “What I am saying is true and reasonable.26 The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner.

27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

29 Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

My thoughts -

Paul is on trial here, and he's giving his testimony. He has explained to King Agrippa who he was, how he persecuted Christians, how he met Jesus on the road to Damascus, how he converted and then came to preach about Jesus, and then told of the events that then led to his being tried here. I love the exchange between Festus and Paul starting in verse 24.

I wonder if Festus is being genuine or condescending. Paul was a very well educated man. I wonder if Festus truly believes that Paul's quest for knowledge really did drive him insane. Either way, as was discussed yesterday what we claim to believe in is a little crazy. Paul is preaching here on how God incarnate came and, instead of triumphing and ushering in a new world order and making all things right again, suffered and died. That's an outrage! That is crazy! How could God be defeated? And yet, the tables are turned and this seeming "defeat" works out far better for us than what would have looked like a victory, for in this defeat we receive God's mercy and grace.

It is crazy, there's no sense in denying that. But my favorite part, and this must have looked ridiculous, is that this man, Paul, this prisoner, chained and brought before powerful people, has the audacity to tell them that his wish is that they all became like him. And the crazy part is that this was a blessing and not a curse. Here is Paul, a man who by all rights should be pleading for his freedom, giving his testimony and praying those who hear it will repent and be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment