Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I am who I am because...

... my mother was willing to change churches so her three year old son could go to Sunday School with his best friend.

... my grandfather didn't mind his grandchildren shouting into microphones in the Sanctuary of the church he pastored.

... David Sparks liked to sing loudly in the morning on Youth retreats.

... Paul Shafer was willing to show God's love to teenagers by breaking their legs and crucifying them. (Trust me, it worked. Teenage boys are weird.)

... Jerry Ernst was willing to drum and wrestle with me and didn't bust me when I was skipping school.

... John Crissman was cool enough to take teenagers to see awesome bands like Mortal but caring enough to make sure we did our homework.

... Sandy Shafer was willing to take in strays and is still willing to feed anyone who shows up at her house.

These people and many more have all been powerful witnesses to me about the love of God. They inspire me to go and do likewise. The thing I come back to most about all of these witnesses is that the least important thing in each of their ministries was what they said about God. Their lives were the witness. Their lives were their testimony.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." -Saint Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment