Monday, October 11, 2010

Worshiping with the dead

Steve mentioned worshiping with the dead in his sermon this week. It really hit home with me. There's not a week that goes by in worship that I don't see and feel the presence to two important people in my life who have passed on.

The first is my grandfather, who was a Baptist minister. When I was a kid he gave me a microphone and let me use it (I'd like to say sing but if that accurately describes what I do now - and I'm not sure it does - it definitely didn't then) in his church. If there's a reason I do this every week he's it.

The second is my cousin Michael. When he attended UK I got him to come play with the praise band a few times. I always hoped he'd stick around here and eventually become a part of our church family. After he moved back to Georgia I was glad to find that he found a church and a praise band to play in. Since he passed away I have seen him in my mind standing where he used to stand at Trinity Hill playing his black Ovation guitar every week we worship. Even if he's not there in body it's nice to be able to worship with him in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment