Friday, October 22, 2010

Not in it for the money

Acts 20:32-35 (TNIV) -

32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.33 I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing.34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.

35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”

My thoughts -

Is the scandal of Eddie Long that he was accused of having sex with men or is it that he makes millions and drives a Bentley? The average salary for a pastor of a "mega church" (average weekly attendance of 2000 or more) is $147,000. That's a lot of money. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm not sure how I should. On a fundamental level I have a hard time accepting that someone would be called by God to minister to the needs of others and collect a large salary for himself for his troubles. That just seems wrong.

It's no secret that I'm a big Rich Mullins fan. While I dig his music what really drew me to him was his life, and his salary. He donated most of what he made in record sales and touring proceeds to charity and only drew a modest salary for himself.

Now I'm not sure that everyone who does ministry, be it from the pulpit or in music, is called to do that. But I am convinced that those who do are in ministry for the right reasons and are not "fleecing the flock". If you say you're in ministry but are the chief financial beneficiary of your own charity I'm pretty sure you're in it less for the glory of God and more for the money.

Maybe this concern is older than I realize. Maybe that's why Paul, in his "farewell" address to the Ephesians here, makes sure that they remember that he didn't TAKE from them, but instead provided for his own needs and for those of his companions, in order to be able to GIVE to them. I'm not saying that everyone HAS to do this, but it is a much more powerful witness than the alternative.

How that works on a practical level in today's churches I have no idea. As per usual I come away from Scripture determined that we need to do something different but filled with a lot more questions than answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment