Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Morning reading

Luke 10:25-37 (TNIV) -

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

27 He answered, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

28 "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

30 In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'

36 "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"

37 The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."


My thoughts - How much suffering around us do we ignore? How often do we just metaphorically pass on by on the other side of the road? I want to think well of myself. I want to think that I am a good neighbor, a good person, and a good Christian. But I know darn well that there's a lot of people suffering and I convince myself I just don't have the time to try to do anything about it. Maybe later.


Psalm 128 (TNIV) -

1 Blessed are all who fear the Lord,

who walk in obedience to him.

2 You will eat the fruit of your labor;

blessings and prosperity will be yours.

3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine

within your house;

your children will be like olive shoots

around your table.

4 Yes, this will be the blessing

for the man who fears the Lord.

5 May the Lord bless you from Zion;

may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem

all the days of your life.

6 May you live to see your children's children—peace be on Israel.


Proverbs 4:23-27 (TNIV) -

23 Above all else, guard your heart,

for everything you do flows from it.

24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;

keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;

fix your gaze directly before you.

26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet

and be steadfast in all your ways.

27 Do not turn to the right or the left;

keep your foot from evil.


My thoughts -

Verses 23 and 24 tie in perfectly with a conversation Mansfield and I were having yesterday on abuse, profanity, and cursing. I can't do his point justice but what I got out of that conversation was that what we hold in our hearts comes out of our mouth. When you curse someone it shows some serious issues with you. I've always separated words we consider to be "profane" from cursing. Some people consider them to be the same. But whatever the words you use, when you curse someone you are really showing your own issues. Get your heart right with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment